home about faq mission statement sponsor contact twitter facebook pinterest IG Image Map

Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Moved with compassion

σπλαγχνίζομαι [translated: splagchnizomai]
VERB 
1) to be moved as to one's bowels, hence to be moved with compassion, have compassion (for the bowels were thought to be the seat of love and pity)


ἐλεέω [translated: eleeō]
VERB
1) to have mercy on
2) to help one afflicted or seeking aid
3) to help the afflicted, to bring help to the wretched
4) to experience mercy


Splagchnizomai is what Jesus had for people during His time on this earth. 
Eleeo is what people cried out for as Jesus passed by.


   Crying for mercy is to ask one who has the power to give and take away for relief from sufferings or other circumstances. Compassion is to feel sorrow over or show concern for the sufferings or misfortunes of others. Physical care or emotional investment, which does the most good to one in need? A testimony from a Gospel for Asia team member who worked among earthquake survivors says, "We gave away blankets and drinking water, but the survivors were not focused on these items. Rather, they were so grateful for someone to grieve with them and listen to their sorrows." 
   I believe that we ought to provide relief to those in need, Jesus healed and helped those who cried out to Him, but that is only one part of demonstrating our faith through works. Should we help feed starving people? Yes. Should we help provide medical care for those in need of it? Yes. Should we offer our hand to someone who falls down? Yes. But it is the heart of compassion that ought to move us to serve and give. Christ's compassion will give them hope.
   What I love about Gospel for Asia is that their focus is to minister with the love of Jesus, the truth of the Word and the hope of the Gospel. They have their priorities right, Jesus first and foremost, then 100% of donations they receive go to the field to serve, reach out with love, share the Gospel, care for physical needs, meet people where they are, and invest in children. Nobody had to convince me to be a fan of GFA, the goal, the heart, of their ministry endeared me to them for life.

-----

   In November I am going to India with Visiting Orphans to minister to suffering people. I cannot bring physical relief to all the orphans, street kids, families in slums, or lepers that I will encounter. But Jesus is going through me and His Father's heart, His love, His compassion will be poured out upon them as a result. We are going to feel sorrow, show concern, be moved with compassion, grieve with and minister Jesus' love to the suffering people we will meet. We can't leave them with physical restoration or financial stability but we can leave them with hope. If the Lord is moving you to support me as I go this fall and you would care to donate toward my trip you can click here and put my name (Chelsea Mills) in the field that says, "Team member or ministry name". Any purchase from my store will also go toward my trip to India and I am happy to take special requests so drop me a line!

No comments:

Post a Comment