home about faq mission statement sponsor contact twitter facebook pinterest IG Image Map

Wednesday, March 20, 2013

The Global Orphan Crisis + Summit 9

Several months back I started a twitter account. Connecting with ministries and organizations, as well as individuals with hearts for advocacy, has been inspiring and encouraging and moved me to action. Through one connection or another I met Diane Elliot. She has written a book called "The Global Orphan Crisis". She sent me a copy and I have been digging into it.


Friends, do you remember a long time ago when I began blogging about my passion for the least and my study of circumstances for vulnerable children worldwide? I called it Project: Awareness and I was scheming to make a booklet about it. I have long since given that up and pursued other forms of advocacy and awareness raising. However, Diane's book is the book I would have loved to have written! It practically IS Project: Awareness but with years worth of personal experiences and insight that I certainly don't have (yet!). The writing style is easy and inviting, the information is straight forward and comprehendible, the message is inspiring and heart-breaking and hope-filled. If you're looking for a book that addresses both the major and the minor issues facing children today, as well as a detailed look at the needs in First, Second and Third World countries, I highly recommend it.
I do not get any financial compensation for saying these things. As someone with a passion for advocacy and a heart for the least, this book has been a tremendous asset of knowledge. You can order your own copy on Amazon or, if you're going to the Orphan Summit this year (by the way, early bird ticket prices end in 11 days!) you should swing by the Moody Publishing booth and meet Diane.


And since we're talking about it, let me tell you a little about the Orphan Summit. Like me, you may have heard of it before and just never made it to one. Each year I know more people who will be there, both ministry representatives and conference attendees. I am convinced that it is the most fantastic conference for people who are passionate about orphan care!

"The Christian Alliance for Orphans’ annual Summit has become the national hub for what Christianity Today recently called, “the burgeoning Christian orphan care movement.” Summit IX on May 2-3, 2013, at Brentwood Baptist Church in Nashville, TN is expected to draw 1,800 to 2,000 pastors, grassroots advocates, organizational leaders and church ministry heads. Alongside more than eighty workshops, the unforgettable plenary sessions will include David Platt, Randy Alcorn, Michele Bachmann, Bishop & Donna Martin, and other global leaders. Summit inspires, equips and connects for adoption, foster care and global orphan ministry."

Amazing, right?! Check out the workshops for the Art, Advocacy and Orphan Care track here. Guys, if I can get the finances in place, you better believe that I will be at this year's Orphan Summit. If not, I'll try again next year. The connections you'll make and the wisdom and encouragement you'll take away from this event are incredible. If you will be there, let me know. I would love to meet you!

No comments:

Post a Comment